Services We Offer
Industries We Serve
Top 10 Messaging Apps for Android & iOS
Thursday March 14, 2019
Messaging apps like WhatsApp, Viber and WeChat is wildly popular now, especially outside the UK. And has started as an alternative for one-on-one method of communication for the mass population worldwide.
Most of us use apps to do many things – make travel and meet up plans with friends, share videos and even share information. These apps are also being used to distribute interesting articles and jokes within friends and family circles.
It is an established fact now that messaging apps are considered to be the “ideal channel for personalized engagement”. Also, referred to as social apps, these platforms offer features like location and photo sharing, GIFs, emojis, etc. making it fun way to keep in touch.
New features like the ability to delete messages in a conversation have also been introduced along with preventing data from being shared.
Here is a list of the top 10 messaging apps for both the Android and iOS platforms in UK.
1. WhatsApp (Android, iOS: Free)
This is one of the free messaging apps is very popular in UK, giving it the highest ranking among its competitors 4.5 stars out of 5. It works on a not only on smartphones but also has introduced a desktop version too.
Users can use the app to send messages and also make calls to anywhere in the world. Users can also share photos, documents, videos and voice messages. Some of its features include:
- No subscription fees
- Free calls – of course, it does not include emergency calling.
- No international calling fees
- Can be used from -web connections too
- No need for user names and pin numbers
WhatsApp is easy to use and is popular even with older adults. This app has made it easier for people to stay in touch.
2. Facebook Messenger (Android, iOS: Free)
Facebook made a foray into the messaging arena and is the second most popular messaging app currently in use. Available in a Lite version as well, it uses Facebook Chat as a base.
Users can sign in via Facebook credentials and are able to send and receive voice and text messages. Messenger has a rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
- React using emojis to express yourself
- Share photos and videos
- Make video or regular calls and send voice messages
- Send money using a debit/credit card or Paypal
- Play games with friends
3. Instagram (Android, iOS: Free)
Instagram is becoming ever more popular in UK with users and is a simple way to capture and share moments with the world. A large Instagram following is what most users like to have.
With 4.5 out of 5 in ratings and over 1 billion users, it is a powerful community. It is easy and fun and has features such as:
- Easy browsing of photos and videos of people in your network
- Ability to go live and connect with friends
- Private messaging
- Discover collections by way of photos and videos
- Photo and video editing
4. Twitter (Android, iOS: Free)
Again, this one among the messaging apps is a powerful medium which offers users breaking news, sports news, politics and other interesting tidbits in UK.
Get all sides of a story and join a conversation with an account and a Tweet. With a rating of 4.3 out of 5, it offers a multitude of features like:
- Premium and live streams straight to a mobile phone
- No account required
- Exploring hashtags and trending topics
- Finding new followers
- Communicating publicly and privately with others
- Creation of a custom profile, if interested
- Easy to use search feature too
5. Pinterest(Android, iOS: Free)
Another app which is known for its creative ideas, Pinterest has millions of users. Its tagline? “Good ideas start here”.
Whether it is fitness or fashion, recipes or arts and crafts, it has something for everyone.
With a rating of 4.6 out of 5, Pinterest helps people find inspiration on the internet, on any topic. Features to look out for are:
- Creative ideas on any topic
- Simple to set up and use
- Easy to follow other users
6. Viber (Android, iOS: Free)
Third on the list of many communication apps, it also garners 4.5 of 5 stars. Free, fast, simple and secure, it is the app of choice for at least a billion users across the globe.
Viber is easy to download and simple to set up for use. Using a customer’s phone number as a login, all that is needed is a data plan and internet connection. Some of the features on this app are:
- Free audio and video calls
- Low cost calling to landlines using Viber Out (subscription plan needed for this)
- Free messages
- Full syncing with desktop and tablets
- 100% privacy
- Set up community with unlimited members
7. Telegram (Android, iOS: Free)
With millions of active users, the app claims that it is the fastest messaging apps around. It also works across mobile and desktop platforms.
Chat history can be stored in the cloud, files of any size can be shared via the app and be assured that chats are secured with encryption. With 4.5 of 5 stars, it is free and ad free.
- Free and reliable, no ads
- Powerful as one can create group chats to include 100,000+ people
- Secure with the best encryption technology available
- Fun and simple to use
- Simple and clean interface making it easy to use offers a Secret Chats feature which is programmed to self-destruct information after a call on participating devices.
8. Google Hangouts (Android, iOS: Free)
Synced with an email account, it can also be used as a standalone channel to keep in touch with friends and family.
With a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, this app is fairly straightforward. Use it to make voice or video calls anytime, anywhere.
- Ability to chat with 150 people at a time
- Call any phone number in the world
- Connect to the Google Voice account to make phone calls, send text messages
- Offline messaging is also possible
- Location sharing
9. Skype (Android, iOS: Free)
This App helps people stay in touch and most often used in conjunction with Outlook for business communication. Its tagline? “Skype keeps the world talking”.
With a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, one has to set up a skype account and the rest is easy. Some of its features are:
- Easy video calls
- Chat with people instantly
- Share videos, photos and documents on this platform
- Voice calls to cell phones and landlines (charges will apply)
10. WeChat (Android, iOS: Free)
This app is the most popular- in China and has over a billion users. Offering the usual features like voice and video calls, it has a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
With WeChat, users can find friends nearby so that meeting up and partying becomes easy. It also offers games, mobile payment facilities and much more. Some of the features are:
- Multiple ways to chat
- Voice and video calls
- Real-time location
- Official accounts which include original content and news
Messaging apps are the new sales channel and becoming very popular in UK markets with staggering numbers of new users.
With the addition of ChatBots, people are more likely to switch over to popular communication apps and ditch traditional methods engagement.