Services We Offer
Industries We Serve
Significant Impact of AI in Day to Day Life
Friday May 17, 2019
When the term “Artificial Intelligence” was coined decades ago, the underpinnings of the concept and field were not very clear. In the intervening years, this field has evolved and blossomed to cover a variety of activities.
It is also growing at a phenomenal pace and in spite of having impacted so many aspects of our daily -lives,we are scarcely aware of its influence.
According to Nils Nilsson, a pioneer in the field said, “Artificial intelligence is that activity devoted to making machines intelligent, and intelligence is that quality that enables an entity to function appropriately and with foresight in its environment.”
Based on this perspective and since intelligence encompasses many areas and is multi-dimensional, the differences between AI and a human brain is based on intuitive learning, processing speed, scale, generality and the degree of autonomy.
At one point, a calculator was considered as an AI tool, but advances in this field have transformed every aspect of life completely.
Some instances of AI are speech recognition software, cruise control in automobiles, the auto-pilot feature in airplanes, smartphones and even thermostats.
The impact of artificial intelligence is undeniable and expected to improve continuously and in increments.
The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on our Daily Lives
In spite all of the overlaps in AI technology today, it has evolved in disparate fields since its inception. The current narrative is very different from the original – what seemed like science fiction even 25 years ago, is now a reality.
For instance, the concept of email was initially developed for military use and is now the most common mode of communication.
Another visible effect of AI is online shopping and an extension thereof, recommendations made by Amazon or Netflix for products or movies.
AI powers their algorithms that studies customer interests and purchase patterns. An offshoot of this technology is the availability of products like Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri which are designed to help users with almost any imaginable task.
Financial institutions use AI to fight phishing and fraud by tracking transaction and spending patterns. Imagine your fridge being able to order groceries for you – this technology is currently in the works.
A couple of interesting facts to ponder over:
- AI is expected to add more than $15.5 trillion USD to the global economy by the year 2030.
- Another area in which AI is expected to play a big role is self-driving cars. Work is being done to ensure that cars can evaluate traffic situations in real time and adjust accordingly.
- The next big thing in AI is IoT technology which uses sensors to collect enormous amounts of data. In fact, over 20 billion “things” are expected to be connected via IoT technology by 2020.
Companies and researchers are spending a lot of time and money by using Big Data to improve predictions. Work is ongoing in the field of machine learning and better translation software.
How ready are we to deal with the impact of artificial intelligence in our lives with facial recognition programs, shopping and even the creation of biographies based on the information available on the internet?
The same companies/institutions working on AI technology are setting priorities to ensure that they deal with ethical, safety and legal issues surrounding it.
Being Safe with Artificial Intelligence
Even after many years of work in this area, experts define the current and available version of AI as narrow or weak AI. Whizzes believe that all of the available AI applications and their modes of implementation are different enough and worth it to consider them separately.
This is done with the long-term view to reduce human error and improve quality of life. The long term goal is to create strong AI which would be able to carry out tasks like humans and use cognitive intelligence to do so.
Right now, the goal is to ensure that the impact of artificial intelligence on society is beneficial by helping with reducing fraud, making life more comfortable, fighting poverty and disease.
Questions that are being addressed without any clear cut answers are:
- What is our future in a world run on AI?
- What should we do if job automation is the new norm rather than the exception?
- Will intelligent machines control us instead of the other way around?
- Will humans be replaced completely?
Since AI is a new technology and in many ways is still evolving, it forms the foundation for other new technologies.
Businesses are constantly innovating by using available technologies to improve processes and ensure that information is available to consumers when they need it.
The easy availability of smartphones with fast processors has changed the way people conduct their lives, especially in the area of health, education, food, and finances.
Just like every disruptive technology that makes its way into the marketplace, AI will not be adopted across the board. Each industry sector is looking at ways to make it easier for customers to access products and services.
As the above infographic shows, the finance, high tech and telecom sectors are leading the way. And nowhere is this evident than in the use of mobile apps.
Mobile apps are one of many platforms that is making it easy for businesses to connect with their customers and provide personalized service.
It would not be too far-fetched to say that AI is playing a key role in app development. With new apps being introduced every day, businesses have to distinguish themselves from the competition to gain market share and also meet the changing standards of consumers.
Consider these numbers from 2018:
- Google’s Play Store alone has 2.8 million apps – and all these were added between 2008 to 2017
- Apple’s App Store has ca. 2.2 million apps – in the period of 2008 to 2017
- 2% of phone owners accessed the internet regularly
- Users spend more than 69% of their time accessing media related apps on their phones
- 80% of global internet usage will be done via mobile devices
- 91% of smartphone owners reach for their phones for ideas and help with work
There are apps now for every conceivable task and all of this has been possible due to integrated AI app development.
AI’s hallmark is its adaptability and ability to learn and developers rely heavily on it to make their work more accurate and predictive. How is AI expected to change this process?
Here is a look at some of the ways AI is influencing the app development process.
- Personalization: As a tool, -AI is very powerful for gaining insights into a consumer’s search and buying habits. With the growth of the apps sector, which no doubt forms a large chunk of the software industry now, customers can expect better engagement and customer satisfaction too.
- Creative code deployment: AI app development is headed in a new direction thanks to people with automated learning and finding creative ways to use their knowledge. AI has been so accessible that algorithms are being used to do specific tasks such as receiving information on new product releases and much more. This information is very specific to a customer’s location.
- Relevancy: The new norm for businesses today are through -intelligent apps -. Businesses have always collected customer data, but this is now being used to strengthen their brand and expand their customer base using AI and related technology. AI has definitely helped businesses enter new markets and establish a presence. Their investments in the development process are paying off.
- Extending technology use to the home: AI’s reach has extended beyond the professional sphere and mobile applications to smart homes. The deployment of regular code is no longer enough to provide customers what they -desire in their daily lives. New and innovative technology is in great demand as customers like having information and usable features at their fingertips.
AI app development and other enabled solutions are making life far more interesting as developers are able to carry out difficult tasks.
Integration is also changing the field of security, learning, drone technology and other areas to make it hassle-free for end users. Over the years, AI has become cheaper to access and implement.
With thousands of apps being marketed every year, only those ones which are really good will make the cut. Using AI to create intelligent apps which understand the why behind the “what” of a product is considered absolutely essential.
As a technology with multiple dimensions, Artificial Intelligence offers highly advanced algorithms, machines and deep learning opportunities which have the potential to develop into products which could have a groundbreaking impact on normal life.
The obvious benefits of AI in mobile development and the overall positive impact goes beyond the office and home. Artificial Intelligence is here to stay, and we can look forward to many more developments in the future that can have a significant impact in day to day life.